Friday, June 11, 2010



One of my favorite things about big, old and preferably un-modernized houses are the bathrooms. They are so grand and spacious, and the fixtures to my eyes are really pieces of industrial sculpture. We used to have a kitchen in Tuxedo Park with floor to ceiling "subway" tile walls, varnished oak cabinets with glass front doors, and a gigantic black stove with a black metal hood. It was wonderful, and it was the first thing our otherwise thoughtful and charming landlords ripped out when they returned from Paris. Happily, I've got pretty much the same thing, still intact, at Daheim. How could anyone not love this kitchen?

4 comments:

  1. I am so attuned to your love & respect for original kitchens & bathrooms. It makes my teeth ache when a listing touts "new granite & stainless steel kitchen!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Just found your blog and I plan on reading each and every entry! Starting tonight. :) I am guessing these pictures are of your kitchen and bathroom, and they are beautiful!! Can't wait to see what other posts you have written. Funny enough, I am in the middle of planning my kitchen remodel, and some pictures linking to your site were posted there. I am so glad I clicked through to find the blog! Oh, and the pics were from your most recent entry, A Palace on the Hudson. Anyway, can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kitchen is similar to my kitchen except the size - mine is quite small. Our 1908 subway tile includes the walls and ceiling, up the back stairs and into the original bathroom. The floors are hex tile with a border. Have always wondered why the ceiling was tiled? Would love to have your thoughts on this, especially if you've seen it in other homes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this kitchen! No stupid cabinets to constantly open and close, always looking for items stored in the back... it doesn't even make sense. I love the way you can see everything, get everything and put everything back easily here.

    ReplyDelete