Saturday, November 13, 2010

Inside Paxhurst






We were kids playing house, but what a house. Paxhurst was my wife's and my Tuxedo Park, NY home for 3 years, from 1977 to 1980. Its history and a bit about our time there is described in the posts below. I haven't set foot in this house in 30 years, but its details and corners are as clear in my mind as this morning's coffee. I loved Paxhurst, but just coulnd't hold on to it. The photos above show the Gold Room, a corner of the conservatory, the summer dining room, and a corner of the main dining room. If I lived there with my digital camera today, I'd have many more images - of the fanciful carved figures atop the newel posts, the goddesses holding beaded light bulbs over my wife's dressing table, the huge Caen stone fireplace in the main hall, and the beautiful wall sconces and chandeliers. But...I don't

8 comments:

  1. I enjoyed viewing these photos, thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe this is the same house that my mothers cousen owned in the 60's. I used to summer there. I have picutres of the music room which was marble and the main hall and drawing room. I is very much the same house. I rember the sun room very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you be willing to share those photos?

      Delete
    2. My Aunt Aunt and Uncle owned this home in the '60s. Wqe spend summers and Christmas there every year. We have many great memories of the hosue. The dining room and ball room were magnificent rooms. I am going to see if I can dig up some pictures and post them. Also, I have an original rendering from the architect who built the house in 1904.

      Delete
    3. That sounds wonderful. If you can share that would be amazing. My sister and I own the house today and it's been in my family since 1983. My email is RichieHartmann@aol.com, I can send you more recent pictures if you wish. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. My late cousin and her husband owned Paxhurst for a few years. I'm thinking sometime in the late 70s to early 80s. They loved big, old houses and lived in them while they renovated true to the house's original style. I never got to visit them while they were there, but would LOVE to see pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does anyone have floor plans of this house?

    ReplyDelete