The hall in the image below runs along the spine of the new wing. In 1905, Reid was appointed ambassador to the Court of St. James, a post in which he remained until his death in 1912. The new wing at Ophir Hall dates from this period, and its interiors reflect an aesthetic altogether different from that of the original house. Goodbye Numidian marble and cut velvet; hello heavy oak and leaded windows. Like any self-respecting millionaire of his era, Reid's walls and halls were lined with old masters. According to the Times, "Many visitors call daily to see Mr. Reid's wonderful palace at Ophir Farms. Many of the visitors are artists and during the summer months easels can be seen here and there all over the place."